The state average declined 2 cents in the past two weeks
After a year mostly characterized by rising gas prices, 2021 ended with prices slowly moving lower. The state average declined 2 cents in the past two weeks, averaging $3.21 per gallon over the weekend.
"Since it began, the pandemic has caused a rollercoaster ride for prices at the pump," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "Gas prices plummeted in 2020 when lockdowns led to lower fuel demand, causing a glut in global fuel supplies. As a result, many countries cut back on crude production, leaving the market vulnerable to what would happen next. In 2021, vaccinations rolled out and demand came roaring back much faster than oil production. As a result, fuel prices skyrocketed to levels not seen in seven years.
"For now, it appears these higher gas prices will hang around well into 2022," Jenkins continued. "Motorists should expect continued volatility at the pump, as prices will likely ebb and flow, based on news about the pandemic and its implications on global supply and demand."
|Annual Average Price for Florida Gasoline|
In 2021, the average price for gasoline in Florida started at a low of $2.19 per gallon and reached a high of $3.36 per gallon (November 19). That high was well beyond the highs of $2.56 (2020), $2.80 (2019), and $2.92 (2018).
Florida drivers are now spending $48 to fill an average-sized 15-gallon tank of gasoline. This time last year, a full tank cost $33. In January 2020 it was $37 for a fill-up.
2021 gas prices were heavily influenced by a 78% upswing in the price of crude oil. U.S. crude prices (WTI) went from $47 per barrel to a high of nearly $85. For now, crude oil futures prices for 2022 appear relatively benign, trading within a range of $70 to just above $75 per barrel. However, as history has proven, that will change in time.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.42), Naples ($3.31), Fort Lauderdale ($3.27)
- Least expensive metro markets – Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($3.08), Tallahassee ($3.09), Punta Gorda ($3.10)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.