Jim Rink (313) 336-1513
The 1913 Room in Grand Rapids has earned AAA’s prestigious five-diamond award for hospitality excellence for a sixth consecutive year and is one of only 46 restaurants nationwide to earn the distinction.
During a special luncheon ceremony conducted at JW Marriott today (April 14), The 1913 Room received its five-diamond plaque, along with 23 Michigan properties that earned the AAA Four Diamond Award.
The luncheon ceremony was conducted during the “Driving Tourism 2008” Michigan Lodging and Tourism Conference in Grand Rapids and was sponsored by AAA Michigan, AAA Living magazine and the Michigan Lodging and Tourism Association.
Ten restaurants and 13 lodging establishments in Michigan now carry the four-diamond rating. One restaurant has five diamonds.
In 2008, a total of 1,159 hotels and 756 restaurants throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean received the AAA Four Diamond Award. AAA Four Diamond hotels and restaurants represent just 3.2 percent of the 60,000 AAA Approved and Diamond rated properties.
AAA’s more than 50 million members rely on diamond ratings in the AAA TourBook® guide to assist them when traveling.
AAA members and non-members alike can access the diamond ratings for free on AAA’s new and improved Internet TripTik® Travel Planner, available at AAAmaps.com.
Sixty-five AAA/CAA tourism editors visit more than 32,000 lodgings and 28,000 restaurants each year throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. Tourism editors conduct unannounced evaluations of lodgings and restaurants, scrutinizing such areas as cleanliness, ambiance, amenities, and service.
According to AAA guidelines, guests staying at a Four Diamond property in Michigan will find establishments with “an extensive array of amenities combined with a high degree of hospitality, service, and attention to detail.” Michigan establishments receiving 2008 Five Diamond awards include:
- The 1913 Room (Grand Rapids, 6 consecutive years), located in the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel.
Michigan establishments receiving 2008 Four Diamond awards include:
- Amway Grand Plaza Hotel (Grand Rapids, 23 consecutive years)
- The Townsend Hotel (Birmingham, 20 years)
- Ritz-Carlton of Dearborn (Dearborn, 19 years)
- The Atheneum Suite Hotel (Detroit, 15 years)
- Radisson Plaza at Kalamazoo Center (Kalamazoo, 15 years)
- Grand Hotel (Mackinac Island, 14 years)
- Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort (Mount Pleasant, 10 years)
- Hyatt Regency Dearborn (Dearborn, 6 years)
- Westin Hotel Southfield (Southfield, 6 years)
- Westin Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus, 5 years)
- The Dearborn Inn (Dearborn, 5 years)
- Radisson Hotel Detroit (Bloomfield Hills, 4 years)
- Royal Park Hotel (Rochester, 2 years)
- The Lark Restaurant (West Bloomfield, 18 consecutive years)
- Webster’s (Kalamazoo, 15 years)
- Tribute (Farmington Hills, 11 years)
- Iridescence (Detroit, 7 years)
- Rugby Grille (Birmingham, 7 years)
- The Grill at the Ritz-Carlton (Dearborn, 6 years)
- Café Cortina (Farmington Hills, 5 years)
- Il Posto Ristorante (Southfield, 5 years)
- Cygnus 27 (Grand Rapids, 4 years)
- The Earle Uptown (Ann Arbor, 3 years)
Diamond ratings will be included for each lodging and restaurant listed in the 2008 AAA Michigan/Wisconsin TourBook® -- one of a series of popular travel guides published for AAA members in the U.S. and Canada. AAA Michigan members can access the Auto Club’s online TourBook® atAAAmaps.com
AAA has included lodging information in its travel publications since the early 1900s. The association began rating lodging properties in 1963 and adopted the diamond designation in 1977. Restaurant evaluations began in 1986. For more information on the AAA Diamond rating process, visit:www.aaa.com/Diamonds