The vaccine is the key to recovery
A new AAA travel survey, conducted in January, reveals that 58 percent of Minnesotans are uncomfortable traveling during the Covid-19 pandemic. The main concerns are:
- Fears of getting sick (73%)
- The number of Covid-19 cases (61%)
- New strains of the virus (53%)
Click here to view the AAA Consumer PulseTM Survey
The travel industry has been hit hard by this pandemic. Nearly two-thirds of Minnesotans (61%) canceled or rescheduled travel plans in 2020. Currently, almost half (47%) of Minnesotans are comfortable staying in a hotel, while only 32 percent feel comfortable taking a commercial flight. The vast majority (90%) feel most comfortable traveling in their personal vehicle.
Treatment and Knowledge Fuels Optimism
With more known about the virus and how it spreads, there appears to be growing confidence among some travelers. Nearly one-fifth (19%) of Minnesotans say they are more comfortable traveling now than when the pandemic began – 10 percentage points more than when we last surveyed in October. Their growing confidence was attributed to:
- The implementation of mask use and cleaning policies (45%)
- More knowledge about how the virus spreads (41%)
- More confidence in medical treatment and outcomes (34%)
- Quarantine fatigue and wanting to get out of the house (34%)
This year, more than half of Minnesotans (55%) plan to take at least one vacation of 3 days or more. Over one-third (34%) of respondents plan to take multiple trips – down 5 percentage points from 2020. However, half of Minnesota residents say they will feel more comfortable traveling after receiving both doses of the Covid-19 vaccine (50%), while one-third will feel more comfortable when cases begin to decrease (35%).
“The Covid-19 vaccine truly is the key to restoring Americans’ confidence in traveling again,” Meredith Mitts, spokesperson, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “With health experts predicting widespread vaccinations by the summer, AAA Travel Advisors are seeing growing interest in bookings for the second half of the year.”
Additional survey highlights:
- 81% will wear a mask in public while traveling
- 40% are more likely to visit a destination with a mask mandate
- 56% are driving less due to the pandemic (34% - no change in driving habits)
- 36% are more likely to purchase travel insurance than before the pandemic
- 79% will not travel in Q1 (50% cite the pandemic as a reason why)
“For over 100 years, AAA has been helping travelers travel safely and enjoyably,” Mitts continued. “That’s why AAA encourages the use of a trusted travel agent. They are the experts who help you consider options and make informed decisions that fit your comfort level.”
About the AAA Consumer Pulse™ Survey
The AAA Consumer Pulse™ Survey was conducted online among residents living in Minnesota from January 15 - 24, 2021. A total of 400 residents completed the survey. Survey results asked of all respondents have a maximum margin of error of ± 4.9% points. Responses are weighted by age and gender to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the adult population (18+) in Minnesota.