Tips Help Motorists Prepare
DEARBORN, Mich., (January 10, 2022) — As arctic air continues to blast Michigan and with the weather forecast calling for some of the coldest temperatures of the year thus far, AAA is issuing a Michigan statewide Arctic Air Advisory.
Temperatures are expected to drop to the teens and single digits, with wind chills dipping into the negatives. Extremely cold temperatures can wreak havoc on vehicle functionality. AAA offers the following tips to help motorists keep their vehicles road-ready:
AAA’s Arctic Air Advisory
- Battery – Have charging system tested to ensure it’s fully charged and in good condition.
- Gas – Keep tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Windshield washer fluid – Use one with winter solvent that won’t freeze.
- Engine Coolant – Use one that provides anti-freeze protection down to the lowest temperatures you are likely to encounter; -30oF/-34oC is a good guideline.
- Vehicle Storage – Park in a garage. If you don’t have access to a garage, put a tarp over the hood or park in a wind-protected area.
- Car doors – Prevent freezing. Place a plastic trash bag between the door or window glass and the frame.
- Car Wash – Postpone until temps rise above freezing.
During single-digit cold snaps, calls for dead batteries and other service-related needs across the Michigan are expected to jump. AAA offers these additional reminders:
- Always travel with a cell phone and car charger.
- AAA recommends that if motorists become stranded, it is best to stay with the vehicle. If the engine can be started, run it only long enough to keep warm. Make sure the exhaust pipe is snow-free.
- Motorists requiring road service can request it:
- Online at www.aaa.com
- Via the AAA mobile app
- Call 800.AAA-MICH
- Additional winter weather driving are available in AAA’s How to Go on Ice and Snow booklet, which can be downloaded HERE.
AAA in Michigan celebrated its 100th Anniversary - A Century of Service in 2016 and has over 1.5 million members across the state. It is part of The Auto Club Group (ACG). Connect with us on Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.