Professionals to share dangerous experiences of working on the roadside
Mark Jenkins, AAA spokesman, The Auto Club Group,
(813) 288-7906 office, (850) 532-0730 cell,
- Media are invited to attend AAA events to educate employees on the importance of Move Over Law.
- Speakers will include:
- The mother of a tow truck driver who was killed while assisting a stranded motorist on the roadside.
- A roadside technician who has first-hand knowledge of the dangers of the job.
- FHP Sgt. Steve Gaskins will be available, for media who’d like to discuss the dangers law enforcement officers face while working on the roadside.
Thursday, January 23
1:30 pm and 2:30 pm
Interviews available before or after times listed above
AAA Tampa Headquarters
9125 Henderson Rd.
Tampa, Florida 33634
- The towing industry is 15 times deadlier than all other private industries combined. According to the CDC, one tow operator is killed in the line of duty every other week in the United States.
- 71% of Americans are unaware of Move Over Laws.
- One worker or first responder is killed on the roadside every other week. Hundreds more are injured while assisting motorists on the roadside.
- In 2019, there were 182 crashes and over 20,000 citations issued for motorists failing to move over, according to preliminary data provided by the Florida Highway of Safety and Motor Vehicles.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, banking, financial services, and travel offerings to over 13.5 million members across 13 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico, South Carolina and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 60 million members in the United States and Canada whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. Visit AAA on the Internet at AAA.com.