Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group,
AVERAGE PRICE PER GALLON
AAA: FLORIDA GAS PRICES SPIKE 15 CENTS
TAMPA, Fla., (March 18, 2019) — Florida gas prices increased an average of 15 cents per gallon last week. This was the second-largest weekly increase among any other state in the country (Kentucky had the largest at 16 cents).
Florida drivers are paying an average price of $2.62 per gallon for regular unleaded. The state average is the highest so far this year, and 10 cents per gallon more than this time last year. So far this year, the state average has increased 46 cents per gallon.
"Drivers saw a jump at the pump last week, due to rising demand, reduced refinery output, and lower gasoline supplies," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "Although it appears the state average is leveling out for now, the springtime surge may not be over quite yet. The highest prices of the year can arrive anytime between now and Memorial Day weekend."
Gas prices increased because:
- Gasoline demand is rising as winter residents travel to Florida to escape the cold, and others visit the sunshine state for spring break and baseball spring training.
- Gasoline supply levels declined for the fourth consecutive week, according to weekly data from the EIA.
- Refineries are conducting seasonal maintenance leading to reduced output.
- Summer-blend gasoline is hitting the market, as required by the EPA, in effort to reduce smog levels. Because this blend of gasoline requires more additives, it is more expensive to produce.
- 10th highest state average in the country ($2.62)
- 2nd largest weekly increase of any state in the U.S. (15 cents). Kentucky had largest weekly increase of 16 cents.
- 1st in the nation for largest monthly increase (39 cents)
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($2.76), Fort Lauderdale ($2.70), Port St. Lucie ($2.70)
- Least expensive metro markets – Pensacola ($2.48), Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($2.53), Tallahassee ($2.53)
Crude Oil Prices
The price of oil also reached a new 2019 high, last week. Settling at $58.61 per gallon on the NYMEX last Thursday, crude oil has climbed a total of $12 per barrel this year. The price of crude is now only $2 per barrel less than this time last year. Last March, oil prices peaked at $64.94 per barrel, dragging the daily average price for gasoline in Florida up to $2.64/g.
Find Local Gas Prices
- Daily national, state, and metro gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- Motorists can find the lowest gas prices on their smartphone or tablet with the free AAA Mobile app. The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel and access AAA roadside assistance.
CURRENT AND PAST PRICE AVERAGES
Regular Unleaded Gasoline
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||2018 High||Record High|
|National||$2.545||$2.543||$2.476||$2.312||$2.542||$2.97 (5/26/2018)||$4.11 (7/17/2008)|
|Florida||$2.618||$2.619||$2.466||$2.228||$2.531||$2.92 (5/25/2018)||$4.08 (7/17/2008)|
|Georgia||$2.419||$2.417||$2.371||$2.187||$2.443||$2.84 (5/27/2018)||$4.16 (9/15/2008)|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.8 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 59 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. Visit AAA on the Internet at AAA.com.