Drivers are still paying some of the most expensive prices at the pump since October 2014
Florida gas prices have slowly declined the past 10 consecutive days. The state average is now $3.07 per gallon, after slipping 3 cents last week from the 2021 high of $3.10 per gallon.
"Drivers are still paying some of the most expensive prices at the pump since October 2014," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "Although gasoline prices normally decline in the fall, they remain elevated due to the high price of crude and lower fuel supplies both domestically and around the world."
The lower fuel supplies are a result of both the pandemic and Hurricane Ida’s effects on the gulf coast. When the pandemic struck, global and American crude producers let off the throttle. U.S. crude production rates dropped as much as 25% in 2020. About half of that had returned before Hurricane Ida struck the gulf coast. Three weeks ago, U.S. crude oil production rates dropped another 13%, after Hurricane Ida temporarily shutdown oil refineries and offshore rigs. Fortunately, that reduction has been cut in half over the past two weeks, as refineries and offshore rigs work to reopen. In addition, refinery activity, gasoline supplies and production all logged weekly gains last week.
The price for a barrel of US crude finished at $73.98 Friday on the NYMEX. That was $2 more than the week before, yet still less than this year’s high of $75.25/b. A positive indicator for drivers is that wholesale gasoline prices finished nearly the same as a week ago.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.22), Fort Lauderdale ($3.11), Gainesville ($3.10)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($2.97), Sebring ($3.00), Ocala ($3.00), The Villages ($3.03)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.