Florida drivers are paying an average price of $3.01 at the pump
"Continued concerns about the spread of Covid-19 prevented gas prices from gaining any ground last week," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "Crude oil and gasoline futures prices have fallen under downward pressure due to worries about how the delta variant could reduce global fuel demand. The lower futures prices should enable gas prices to trend lower in the coming week."
Last week, the price for U.S. crude oil bounced between $66 and $70 per barrel, before finishing the week flat at $68.44/b. Gasoline futures mostly did the same. Even still, futures prices remain 7% less than where they finished two weeks ago.
Gas prices remain well above what drivers paid this time last year and in 2019, when pump prices followed more traditional trends. Florida gas prices averaged $2.10 per gallon in August 2020 and $2.45 per gallon in August 2019.
On average, Florida drivers are currently paying $45 to fill up a 15-gallon tank of gasoline. That’s $8 more than what a full tank cost in August 2019.
"The long term future of pump prices is hard to predict, due to the pandemic’s effect on global supply and demand," Jenkins continued. "Traditionally, gas prices rise in the spring, fluctuate in the summer, and fall in the fall and winter months. However, this has been anything but a traditional year."
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.16), Panama City ($3.12), Tallahassee ($3.08)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($2.95), Orlando ($2.97), Jacksonville ($2.97), Fort Myers-Cape Coral ($2.97)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Members who enroll between July 1 and August 31, 2021 can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill up. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.