OPIS: Most of Louisiana's refineries appear to have weathered Tropical Storm Barry without operational incident.
TAMPA, Fla., (July 15, 2019) — Florida gas prices declined through the weekend, even as Tropical Storm Barry (briefly a Category 1 hurricane) moved over oil platforms and refineries along the U.S. Gulf Coast.
- The state average declined to $2.63 per gallon on Sunday, as was forecasted in last week’s AAA Gas Price Brief.
- Florida’s state average has declined for 10 consecutive days - for a total discount of 10 cents during that time.
- Florida drivers are now paying 4 cents per gallon less than a week ago, and nearly 20 cents per gallon less than this time last year.
- The highest price so far this year was $2.80 per gallon
"Crude oil and gasoline prices increased on the stock market last week, due to concerns that Tropical Storm Barry would cause temporary interruptions in fuel supply," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "Futures prices rose at a pace that would normally translate to a 5-10 cent increase at the gas pump. Wholesale gas prices also suggest a state average of about $2.70 per gallon. Pump prices could go in either direction this week. Retail prices could follow futures prices higher. But if it’s determined that Barry did not cause extensive damage to the fuel infrastructure along the gulf coast, operations quickly return to normal, pump prices could remain unaffected by the storm."
OPIS: Refinery Operations Mostly Unaffected by Barry; 73% of Offshore Production Ceased
According to a Sunday report from the Oil Price Information Service:
- Most of Louisiana’s refineries appear to have weathered Tropical Storm Barry without operational incident.
- Only one refinery shut down on a precautionary basis, while others continued to run. The restart process can take about a week to complete if there is no damage.
- Early Sunday morning, the Port of New Orleans began allowing vessel movement into and out of the Mississippi River and port with some restrictions.
- Nearly 73% of total Gulf of Mexico production was shut in (temporarily stopped), according to the Federal Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement.
- Post-storm assessments are underway to determine if any offshore facilities were affected by the storm.
- Most expensive metro markets – Gainesville ($2.69), Panama City ($2.69), Sebring ($2.69)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($2.57), The Villages ($2.59), Bradenton-Sarasota-Venice ($2.59)
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||
|2018 High||Record High|
|National||$2.789||$2.786||$2.755||$2.707||$2.878||$2.895||$2.97 (5/26/2018)||$4.11 (7/17/2008)|
|Florida||$2.628||$2.631||$2.670||$2.526||$2.802||$2.795||$2.92 (5/25/2018)||$4.08 (7/17/2008)|
|Georgia||$2.666||$2.656||$2.603||$2.483||$2.726||$2.735||$2.84 (5/27/2018)||$4.16 (9/15/2008)|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.9 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 59 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. Visit AAA on the Internet at AAA.com.