The state average now sits at $3.31 per gallon - the most expensive daily average price since October 2014
Florida gas prices stabilized over the weekend after rising another 13 cents, last week. The state average now sits at $3.31 per gallon. That’s a new 2021 high, and the most expensive daily average price since October 2014.
Florida pump prices have climbed a total of 26 cents this month. So far this year, the state average has increased a total of $1.12 per gallon since January 1. Florida drivers are now paying $1.23 per gallon more than this time last year, and 89 cents more than this time in 2019.
"Gas prices have been dragged higher by skyrocketing crude oil prices," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "Crude oil prices have faced tremendous upward pressure, because global fuel demand is outpacing global production and supply levels. Although oil prices increased again last week, it was by a smaller margin than the weeks before. Fortunately, gasoline futures held steady. So even if gas prices increase again this week, it shouldn’t be as significant of a jump as what drivers have experienced so far this month."
The price of US (WTI) crude oil has climbed 76% this year; going from $47 per barrel in January to nearly $84/b last week. In October alone, oil prices have jumped 10%; rising from $75.88 to $83.76 per barrel. Friday’s closing price of $83.76/b is $1.48/b more than the week before.
A rather uneventful week in the gasoline futures market is good news for motorists. Gasoline futures finished the week 1-cent lower than the week before. This is a positive indicator that retail pump prices could stabilize this week. Prior to last week, gasoline futures logged 12 cents gains in two consecutive weeks; and retail prices followed suit.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.46), Fort Lauderdale ($3.35), Port St. Lucie ($3.34)
- Least expensive metro markets – Pensacola ($3.24), Jacksonville ($3.28), Panama City ($3.28), Punta Gorda ($3.29)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.