The state average jumped 8 cents last week as refineries recover from Hurricane Ida
Holiday travelers found the most expensive Labor Day gas prices in seven years. Prices at the pump are now averaging $3.02 per gallon, in Florida. That’s 83 cents more than last year’s holiday, and 58 cents more than what drivers paid during the 2019 holiday weekend.
Florida’s gas price average shot up 8 cents last week, after Hurricane Ida’s impact on the gulf coast left nine crude oil refineries offline. This resulted in an outage of about 13% of total U.S. refining capacity.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, four of the nine refineries have begun the process of restarting. Three of those are located in Baton Route, the other is near New Orleans. The DOE says it could take several days for those refineries to produce at full rates.
Meanwhile, five refineries near New Orleans remain shut due to issues including power outages. These plants account for 6% of total U.S. refining capacity.
"News that refineries are working to restore operations is a positive sign for motorists," said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA - The Auto Club Group. "As refineries get back up and running, prices should begin to slide lower; especially now that the summer driving season has come to a close."
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.16), Panama City ($3.09), Tallahassee ($3.06)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($2.96), Jacksonville ($2.98), Orlando ($2.98), Fort Myers-Cape Coral ($2.99)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Members who enroll between July 1 and August 31, 2021 can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill up. Click here for more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices
- Daily gas price averages can be found at Gasprices.aaa.com
- State and metro averages can be found here
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||Week Ago||Month Ago||One Year Ago||Record High|
|Click here to view current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day up to 130,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 14 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.