Wisconsinites can call (855) 2-TOW-2-GO for a safe ride
B-roll: Broadcast Quality: Tow to Go B-Roll (vimeo.com)
MADISON, Wisc., (March 15, 2023) — The Tow to Go program is celebrating a milestone anniversary this year, twenty-five years of service. Since its inception, this life-saving program has removed more than 25,000 impaired drivers from the road. AAA – The Auto Club Group will continue these efforts as it activates Tow to Go for the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day weekend, in hopes that partygoers do not press their luck by getting behind the wheel while impaired.
- Tow to Go is active from 6 p.m. Thursday, March 16th to 6 a.m. Monday, March 20th.
- Free confidential rides available to AAA members, and non-members.
How does it work? When someone calls Tow to Go, AAA dispatches a tow truck to transport the would-be impaired driver and their vehicle to a safe location within a 10-mile radius. The service is free for anyone, yet AAA asks that it be treated as a last resort.
As St. Patrick’s Day approaches this month, it’s imperative that drivers take steps to stay off the road if they are impaired. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), St. Patrick’s Day is one of the deadliest holidays on U.S. roadways. In 2020, more than 11,000 people died in drunk-driving crashes. Those deaths could have been avoided if the impaired drivers found a safe ride home instead of driving drunk. (NHTSA)
“AAA’s Tow to Go program has helped improve road safety for a quarter century,” said Nick Jarmusz, director of public affairs, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “We’re proud to be that last line of defense, keeping people from driving impaired. We also remain committed to educating the public that it’s important to find a safe ride before drinking alcohol or taking drugs. This is critical so motorists are not in the position of having to decide if they’re sober enough to drive.”
TOW TO GO
WI, FL, GA, IA, MI, ND, NE, TN, CO (Denver), NC (Charlotte), IN (Fort Wayne/South Bend)
(855) 2-TOW-2-GO or (855) 286-9246
TOW TO GO GUIDELINES
- Provided from 6 p.m. Thursday, March 16th to 6 a.m. Monday, March 20th.
- Free and available to AAA members and non-members.
- Confidential local ride for one person and their vehicle to a safe location within a 10-mile radius.
- Appointments cannot be scheduled in advance to use Tow to Go. It is designed as a safety net for those that did not plan ahead. Always choose a designated driver before celebrating.
- In some situations, AAA may need to make other arrangements to get an impaired individual a safe ride home.
- Tow to Go may not be available in rural areas or during severe weather conditions.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with more than 13 million members across 14 U.S. states, the province of Quebec, and two U.S. territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel offerings, and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve traffic safety. For more information, get the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.